Sunday, February 1, 2009

Newseum & Chinese New Year

I had a rare day to myself (Superbowl Sunday) and decided to visit the Newseum in DC. I spent over 3 hours looking at everything on the six floors. Well worth the $20 admission.



This is a guard tower from the Berlin Wall

A section of the Berlin WallView from the 6th floor deck



An exhibit on the DC Sniper. I was really scared during the sniper spree in 2002.

Exhibit on the UnaBomberHis actual cabin. It was bigger than I had imagined.

Exhibit on the Lindbergh baby kidnapping with the ladder used to climb in the window to get the baby and the electric chair used for Bruno (who kidnapped the baby)



The Food Court featured food by Wolfgang Puck. There was a 4-D theater and news "studios" where kids could record news or weather and then buy the tape. George Stephanopolus broadcasts his Sunday show from a studio in the Newseum, as well as other newscasters with the Capitol in the background.

After finishing there, I walked a few blocks up to Chinatown for the Chinese New Year Parade. I missed the parade, but saw some of the Chinese dignitaries and DC Council members giving speeches. Even the lying, cheating, tax evading, cocaine using, former Mayor of DC, Marion (The "B***h" Set Me Up") Barry. I tried to get through the crowd to get back to the metro, but had to backtrack because the street was blocked. I got back to the subway just at the Capitals hockey game let out. Great--20,000 people flocking to the trains! Crowded, but not that bad.

All in all, a great day. I'll have to do it again soon. Next visit - the International Spy Museum.

No comments: